Explore Visit Apply Donate

Brief History of SCC

  • Southeast Community College has been operating in its current structure since July 1, 1973, when a statewide community college system was implemented by the Legislature.

    However, the campus in Milford existed long before then. The first postsecondary technical institution, exclusively offering two-year postsecondary degrees in vocational/technical programs, was established by the Nebraska Unicameral in 1941 at Milford. Operated by the Nebraska Department of Education, the school was originally established to meet the occupational education needs of the entire state.

    In 1971, the Legislature passed a bill which combined junior colleges (Fairbury, established in 1941, in SCC's area), state vocational/technical colleges, and the area technical schools into one system of two-year institutions. The consolidation originally established eight technical community college areas. The number was reduced to six when Lincoln merged with Southeast in 1973.

    The current Lincoln Campus at 8800 O St. began in 1979. Prior to that, the College operated in a number of properties throughout Lincoln.

    In 1975, SCC took over the Beatrice campus of John J. Pershing College, which opened in 1966 and closed in 1971. In 1980, the agriculture program was relocated from the Milford Campus to Beatrice. In 1986, Fairbury Junior College was closed and operations moved to Beatrice. Since 1986, SCC has added a number of facilities and land to its Beatrice Campus. The Lincoln Campus also has continued to grow, as has Milford. Today, nearly 10,000 students enroll in credit classes at SCC.


    1941 - Nebraska State Trade School is established in Milford; Fairbury Junior College is established in Fairbury.

    1959 - The Milford college's name is changed to Nebraska Vocational Technical School.

    1971 - The Milford college's name is changed to Nebraska Technical College.

    1973 - The college's name is changed to Southeast Technical Community College Area; Dr. Robert Eicher is hired as president of the newly-formed college.

    1975 - SCC receives the former John J. Pershing College campus and begins remodeling.

    1979 - First building on the Lincoln Campus at 8800 O St. is constructed.

    1986 - SCC merges the Fairbury and Beatrice campuses. The Fairbury campus is closed.

    1994 - Dr. Jack Huck is named interim chancellor; selected for the permanent leadership position in 1995; title was changed to president in 1997.

    1995 - SCC purchases the ground floor at 1111 O St. in downtown Lincoln known as Energy Square.

    2004 - SCC purchases Continuing Education Center at 301 S. 68th St. Place, Lincoln.

    2006 - SCC purchases Entrepreneurship Center at 285 S. 68th St. Place, Lincoln.

    2011 - SCC purchases second floor of Energy Square building (now Education Square) at 1111 O St., Lincoln.

    2014 - Board of Governors names the continuing education center building the Jack J. Huck Continuing Education Center in honor of Jack J. Huck, SCC's third president.

    2014 - Jack J. Huck retires after 20 years as president.

    2014 - Dr. Paul Illich is hired as SCC's fourth president.

    2015 - The College completes its 2015-2019 Strategic Plan.

    2016 - The Clark Enersen Partners of Lincoln produces a 10-year Facilities Master Plan.

    2016 - The first of six Learning Centers opens. The Learning Center at York officially opens on May 17. Ribbon-cutting ceremonies are held for Learning Centers in Plattsmouth and Nebraska City in October.

    2017 - The Board of Governors votes to change the College's academic calendar from quarters to semesters. The change takes effect in August 2019.

    2017 - A ribbon-cutting ceremony is held July 18 officially opening the Learning Center at Hebron.